Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead)February 19th, 2012 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 18 (IANS) Two people were arrested Saturday for raping a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian woman, mother of two and a former call centre employee, in a moving car after offering her a lift here earlier this month, police said.
“We have arrested Rahman Khan alias Tusi and Sumit Bajaj,” said Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen. They were arrested from Howrah station area. The two Kolkata residents were held while fleeing from the city.
“We are interrogating them. We are also trying to apprehend some other persons who have been identified,” she said.
“As of now we have also got some names. Investigations are on. After some time we will be able to find out how many persons were involved in the crime,” she added.
The victim alleged that she was raped past midnight Feb 5 in a moving car. She was also severely beaten. She filed a police complaint Feb 9 while her medical examination was conducted Feb 14.
“The woman was raped by a person,” Sen said.
She said police seized the vehicle, in which four people were present.
“Following the CCTV footage we could identified the vehicle. We could identify that the vehicle belonged to Sumit Bajaj,” she said.
Talking about her ordeal to a Bengali news channel, the victim said: “There were five people, including two whose names I do not know, inside the car where I was raped at gun point by Sharafat Ali. The man kept hitting me mercilessly even after he had finished raping me.”
She named another person in the car as Azhar Ali.
Police said Khan had introduced himself to the victim as Lovi Gidwani and offered her a lift in the car. The other two accused introduced themselves as Sharafat Ali and Azhar Ali.
“This is a reason she got confused,” Sen said.
Police Thursday maintained there were “certain technical discrepancies” in the case and termed the victim’s allegations of lax investigation as an attempt to malign police and the state government.
Police changed their stand Friday. “Her (victim’s) version was more or less the same (what she had alleged in the complaint). Something must have occurred in the early hours of Feb 6 and police are thoroughly investigating all aspects,” Sen had said.
Thursday night police took the victim to the places she mentioned in her complaint and tried to recreate the chain of events related to the alleged rape.
- Three held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in vehicle - Feb 18, 2012
- Kolkata's Park Street rape case: Police find discrepancies - Feb 16, 2012
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (Lead, West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Mamata says her Park Street rape statement distorted - Feb 27, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Police custody for three accused till March 3 - Feb 19, 2012
- Kolkata police find holes in rape case; Mamata says cooked up (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Three sent to judicial custody - Mar 03, 2012
- 'Raped' Kolkata woman alleges police inaction - Feb 15, 2012
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Kolkata rape case: Officer denies division among police - Feb 20, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Accused declared proclaimed offender - Apr 15, 2012
- Police officer who solved Park Street rape case removed - Apr 04, 2012
- Kolkata RJ accuses industrialist's son of raping her - Jul 16, 2012
- Minor gangraped in moving van, one held (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: alias, bajaj, bengali news channel, call centre, commissioner of police, discrepancies, feb 14, fleeing from the city, gidwani, government police, gun point, indian woman, medical examination, moving car, ordeal, police complaint, police crime, state government, sumit, tusi