Two held for cheating, impersonationJuly 1st, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 1 (IANS) The “magic pen” of fraud eventually wrote their nemesis, and two men who impersonated as tele-marketing executives of an insurance company and cheated people of lakhs of rupees were nabbed, Delhi Police said Sunday.
Praveen Kumar was arrested from Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi and Hukam Chand was nabbed from Ghaziabad June 29.
The two would call up people whose insurance policy premiums were due and make the victims fill cheques with a pen whose ink disappeared on being exposed to heat.
Except for the issuer’s signature, they made all entries in the cheques disappear using an iron. They later refilled the amount on the cheques and encashed them, police said.
Hukam Chand was employed in the insurance sector and had access to the list of people whose insurance policy premiums were falling due.
Police arrested them on the complaint of Masood Ahmed, a resident of Jama Masjid area in old Delhi, who was approached by the duo June 18.
After getting a insurance premium cheque of Rs.7,300 from Ahmed, the two erased the entries and used the cheque to withdraw Rs.1.43 lakh from his bank in Vasant Kunj.
Praveen Kumar was identified from the security camera footage of the bank.
“At the instance of Praveen Kumar, Hukam Chand was apprehended from his residence and Rs.95,000, a ‘magic ink’ pen and an iron used in crime were recovered from his possession,” said a police statement.
- Former bank employees arrested for cheating - Feb 03, 2012
- Man arrested for duping people with 'magic pen' - Jun 05, 2010
- Youth arrested for cheating ex-labour ministry employee - Jul 19, 2012
- Three held for stealing money from IIT accounts - Nov 15, 2011
- Three management professionals held for cheating - Jan 23, 2011
- Three held for forgery - May 23, 2011
- Rs.4.64 billion MSTC fraud-CBI nabs three - May 02, 2012
- Rs.40 lakh robbed from jeweller's house - Apr 07, 2011
- Insurance industry to be worth $400 bn by 2020: Report - Apr 10, 2011
- Maoist extremist apprehended in Delhi - May 11, 2012
- Former maid, paramour arrested for robbing French national's house - Apr 22, 2012
- Three held for fraud using fake cheques - Dec 28, 2011
- Meghalaya to introduce health insurance scheme - Aug 02, 2011
- Sebi raises minimum level for portfolio investments - Jan 28, 2012
- Insurance manager held for duping over 60 people in Delhi - Aug 11, 2009
Tags: camera footage, chand, delhi police, east delhi, ghaziabad, hukam, impersonation, ink pen, insurance premium, insurance sector, lakhs, magic ink, magic pen, masood ahmed, old delhi, police statement, policy premiums, praveen kumar, tele marketing, vasant kunj