Two Haryana policemen get 10 years for rapeMay 29th, 2009 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 29 (IANS) A court here Friday sentenced two policemen, posted at the Haryana governor’s official residence here, to 10 years imprisonment for rape.
Additional district and sessions judge Ravi Kumar had Monday held commando Vijendra Singh and constable Dinesh of the Haryana Armed Police guilty of rape. The sentence was announced Friday.
Along with them, their friend Ravi Sahay, a civilian, was also convicted. He was also sentenced to a 10-year jail term.
The two securitymen had been suspended from service after their arrest.
According to the police, the victim, a resident of Mohali town, about 10 km from here, was returning home late night in February 2008 with an acquaintance after catering work at the Rock Garden when they were signalled to stop by one of the accused.
The woman was taken inside one of the government houses in the high-security zone, just 100 metres from the Haryana and Punjab Raj Bhawan (governor’s houses) and raped by the trio. The rape was confirmed by the medical reports, according to the police officer who investigated the case.
- Two securitymen at Haryana Governor's House convicted of rape - May 25, 2009
- Haryana governor's security personnel booked for rape - Feb 21, 2008
- CWG mascot 'Shera' stolen from Chandigarh's high-security zone - Oct 16, 2010
- Cops suspended as Santa goes up in smoke in Chandigarh - Dec 29, 2010
- Haryana cop, four youths arrested in gang rape case - Jun 18, 2011
- Haryana governor's security men arrested for rape - Feb 21, 2008
- Mohali match: Can Chandigarh's infrastructre handle it? - Mar 27, 2011
- Haryana policeman shoots self - May 02, 2012
- Convicted Punjab minister quits, resignation accepted (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Gurgaon hooliganism due to lack of cops: Residents - Jan 02, 2012
- Rathore's bail plea adjourned till June 29 - Jun 04, 2010
- Murder convict arrested 10 years after jumping parole - Dec 20, 2011
- Punjab functionary resigns after graft charge, arrest - May 08, 2011
- PM to stay at Punjab Raj Bhawan, Gilani at the Taj - Mar 28, 2011
- Rathore's appeal dismissed in Ruchika molestation case - Sep 01, 2010