Two Garo militants killed in MeghalayaDecember 18th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Dec 18 (IANS) Two rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gunfight in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills Sunday, police said.
The battle broke out in Darimgre forests near Williamnagar, the district headquarters, at 7 a.m. when the rebels fired at the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos who were tracking them down, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Rajiv Mehta told IANS.
One the rebel killed was identified as A.K.J. Momin, while the identity of other slain rebel is yet to be ascertained, he said.
Two other rebels managed to escape while police arrested Krinson N. Marak who is accused of harbouring the GNLA rebels.
Two grenades, one Italian-made pistol and incriminating documents were recovered from the site, police said.
In another incident, a GNLA rebel identified as Tizo Marak was nabbed Saturday from Seven Kilo area near Shallang, a coal-rich area in West Khasi Hills district.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, fighting for a separate state of Garoland, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.
The tribal rebel outfit has forged an operational alliance with the Assam-based rebel groups - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB)
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- Four rebels surrender in Meghalaya - Aug 03, 2011
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- Rebel leader nabbed in Meghalaya, abducted official to be freed - Nov 23, 2010
- Rebels kill policeman, injure three in Meghalaya - May 30, 2012
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Three GNLA rebels arrested - Nov 05, 2010
- Four policemen injured in ambush by Garo rebels - Dec 20, 2011
- Four Garo rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 06, 2012
- Hunt on for Meghalaya rebels behind police killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Two GNLA rebels held in Meghalaya - Dec 08, 2010
- Rebel group asks Assam-based groups to leave Meghalaya - Aug 15, 2011
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: assam, commandos, district headquarters, east garo hills, grenades, gunfight, law and order, marak, momin, national democratic front, national liberation army, police law, rajiv mehta, rebel groups, reign of terror, shillong, special weapons and tactics, ulfa, united liberation front, west khasi hills