Two fishermen drown near beached shipAugust 15th, 2010 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 15 (IANS) Two people drowned while two others were rescued, when they were caught in a powerfull water current in close vicinity of a beached ship off Goa’s Candolim beach Sunday.
Sadanand Kandolkar, 46, and Sanjay Harmalkar, 30, were fishing in a canoe along with two other people in close vicinity of MV River Princess, a cargo vessel which had run aground off Candolim beach, 15 km from here, when they were caught in the rip current, an official said.
The two other fishermen were rescued by lifeguards of the Drishti Special Response Service (DSRS), which is in charge of beach management services in the state.
DSRS officials in the past have said that swimming at Candolim beach, especially near the beached ship, was extremely hazardous because of the rip tides which are formed due to the presence of the vessel.
The state government, which has been unable to rope in private salvagers to tow away the vessel - owned by local mining company Salgaonkar Mining Industries Limited - for the last 10 years, has floated a tender once again this year calling for bidders to tow away the vessel, which has been already notified as a state disaster by the district administration.
- Teenager feared drowned off Mumbai's Juhu beach - Jun 24, 2011
- 3 Russians saved from drowning off Goa beach - Sep 10, 2012
- Another ship stuck at Mumbai's Juhu beach (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- 7 sailors rescued off Goa beach - Jul 28, 2012
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Cargo vessel runs aground, being towed away - Jun 04, 2011
- Grounded ship attracts crowds in Mumbai - Jun 19, 2011
- Ship stranded on Mumbai beach refloated - Jul 02, 2011
- 95 percent drowning cases in Goan beaches due to alcohol - Jul 17, 2010
- Goa's lifeguards call off strike, get back to beaches - Dec 11, 2010
- Drunk Russian tourist saved on Goa beach - Oct 25, 2010
- Tourists not co-operating in molestation case: Goa Police - Jun 13, 2011
- Efforts to tow away grounded ship off Mumbai suspended - Jun 19, 2011
- Salvaging of grounded ship off Mumbai to resume Sunday - Jun 18, 2011
- Police lodge complaint against owners of grounded ship - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,