Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualtiesJune 16th, 2012 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 16 (IANS) Two fires broke out in Kolkata in the early hours of Saturday, in which hundreds of shanties were gutted and a multi-storeyed building was partially damaged. No casualty was reported, fire brigade officials said.
The first fire broke out in a warehouse containing plastic goods in eastern Kolkata’S Tangra and rapidly spread to nearby shanties.
“Fourteen fire tenders were pressed into service which brought the fire under control. No casualty or injury to anyone has taken place,” a fire official said.
Hours later, fire-fighters had to rush to douse the flames at Karnani Estate on the AJC Bose Road in the south of the city.
“Four adults and one child were rescued by the personnel of fire and emergency services from a multi-storeyed apartment building on the AJC Bose Road, where a fire broke out in the morning. The entire staircase was filled up with smoke and the people were trapped on the second floor of the building,” said an official of the department.
He said there were no reports of any casualty or injuries and 11 fire engines brought the blaze under control in the multi-storeyed building.
According to the fire fighters, an electric short circuit caused fire at both the places. Forensic tests to ascertain the cause of the fire have also been ordered.
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Leather goods warehouse gutted, no casualty - Nov 11, 2010
- Fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse - Nov 17, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata building, one killed - Mar 30, 2012
- Major fire in Lucknow building, none hurt (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Fire breaks out in power corporation office in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2011
- Two fires in Kolkata, no casualties (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Major fire at multi-storied building in South Kolkata - Mar 29, 2012
- Auomobile parts showroom, furniture shop gutted in Delhi - Dec 09, 2010
- Four killed in Delhi warehouse fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Major fire in Lucknow building, no casualty - Dec 03, 2010
- Tyre warehouse in Haryana gutted in fire - Jun 30, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata studio, two injured - Jul 18, 2011
- Efforts still on to douse fire at Delhi's Chandni Chawk (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Major fire in co-operative office, no casualty - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: adults, ajc, apartment building, blaze, casualties, casualty, fire and emergency services, fire brigade, fire engines, fire fighters, fire official, fire tenders, first fire, flames, forensic tests, shanties, short circuit, staircase, tangra, two fires