Two fire incidents in Kolkata on Diwali night

October 29th, 2008 - 2:07 am ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Oct 29 (IANS) Diwali fireworks have led to two fire incidents in the city Tuesday night, the police said.In one incident, a fire broke out at a footwear factory in the congested Topsia area in southeastern part of the city.

The police said 20 fire tenders were pressed into service to put out the blaze in the factory. The fire was yet to be controlled. There were no reports of casualty so far.

“It appears the fire was caused from Diwali fireworks,” a senior police officer said.

“Our primary task is to ensure that the fire does not spread and engulf the housing complexes in the vicinity,” said a fire department officer.

Another fire broke out in a house in Ballygunge area, close to state Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s residence. The extent of damage was not yet known.

Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot to put out the blaze. The fire was controlled after half an hour.

The locals said the fire was caused by firecrackers thrown from a building.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe