Two fake degree rackets busted in PunjabJuly 25th, 2010 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 25 (IANS) Punjab Police Sunday said they had busted two fake degree rackets and arrested seven people.
In the first incident, two people were arrested late Saturday for providing fake degrees of Jalandhar’s Punjab Technical University (PTU) from Rajpura town of Patiala district, around 45 km from Chandigarh.
“The accused, identified as Manpreet Singh and Taranjit Singh, were providing bachelors and masters degrees of various engineering streams and other disciples. They also had links in Haryana and Himachal Pradesh,” a Patiala police officer said.
Police said they have recovered fake documents, letterheads and stamps from the possession of the accused.
In the second incident, five people were arrested for providing fake IELTS (International English Language Testing System) certificates from Hoshiarpur town.
“We had received a complaint from Dheeraj Kumar, who had allegedly paid Rs.1.5 lakh to the accused for getting an IELTS certificate. One Kamaljot Singh, who is very good in English, had appeared on his behalf in the test and got a good score,” said Senior Superintendent of Police Rakesh Aggarwal, Hoshiarpur, around 120 km from Chandigarh.
“Later, the accused put the photograph and other details of Dheeraj on the certificate by using a scanner. However, this was rejected by the British High Commission. So far, we have arrested five people and have sent a special team to Jalandhar town to arrest the kingpin of this gang,” he added.
- Counterfeit currency seized in Punjab - Jul 10, 2011
- Development authorities to cover entire Punjab - Aug 18, 2010
- Main accused in African student's assault held in Punjab - Jul 10, 2012
- Fake US currency seized in Punjab - Feb 15, 2011
- Badal announces Rs 5 lakh assistance for African in coma (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Two held in Punjab for illegally carrying jewellery - Dec 12, 2010
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Over 900 kg poppy husk recovered in Punjab - Dec 17, 2010
- India assures Burundi of help for African youth in coma (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Bank manager in gang booked for making false statements - Jul 26, 2010
- African in coma: Father complains against university - Jul 08, 2012
- Rs.200 crore worth drugs seized in Punjab, four held - Jun 02, 2012
- African in coma: Badal tells police to spare no one (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 06, 2012
- Punjab Police arrest two in fake currency scam - Jul 28, 2010
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: bachelors, british high commission, english language testing system, fake degree, fake degrees, fake documents, haryana, himachal pradesh, international english language, international english language testing, jalandhar, kingpin, lakh, language testing system, letterheads, manpreet singh, masters degrees, ptu, punjab chandigarh, punjab police