Two die in Maharashtra temple stampedeOctober 10th, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmednagar (Maharashtra), Oct 10 (IANS) Two people were killed and several others were injured in a stampede at a temple in Rashin village in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, police said Friday. The tragedy occurred at around 11.30 p.m. Thursday in the sanctum sanctorum of the Jagadamba temple, about 350 km from state capital Mumbai.
Since it was the festival of Dussehra, hundreds of devotees who were standing in queue tried to push their way inside the sanctum sanctorum in desperation to catch a glimpse of the goddess before its closure at the stroke of midnight, Karjat police station officer R.J. Sonawane told IANS.
The dead, 40-year-old Dilip Haribhau Kale and 52-year-old Gulab Dinkar Kadam, belonged to Sonalwadi and Baralgaon-Dagdi villages of the Karjat sub-district.
Dussehra marks the last day of a pilgrimage to the temple that begins on the first day of the nine-day Navratri festival. While thousands of devotees come to the village all through Navratri, the attendance peaks on the concluding day, Sonawane said.
This is the first time such a tragedy has occurred at the temple, he added.
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Apex court notice on entry to Kalighat temple - May 15, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum - May 21, 2012
- Apex court issues notices on Kalighat temple entry (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Court bans devotees' entry to Kalighat 'garbha griha' - Apr 20, 2012
- After 2,000 years, temple allows women into sanctum sanctorum - Apr 15, 2011
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Log on, perform prayers online! - Mar 18, 2012
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Devotees throng Delhi temple as Navratri festival begins - Oct 08, 2010
- Single largest gathering of women at Kerala festival - Mar 07, 2012
- Himachal deity gets back role in Dussehra festival - May 19, 2012
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011