Two die as goods trains collide in OrissaAugust 31st, 2011 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 31 (IANS) Two people were killed early Wednesday when two freight trains collided head on in Orissa’s Keonjhar district, officials said.
The trains collided near Tigiriapalli village in the mineral-rich district, police officer Prakash Toppo told IANS from the accident site.
“The trains had five staff on board. We have so far recovered one body,” Toppo said.
He added that the body parts of another person have been found, indicating that he too is dead.
It was a single line track and mostly used for the transportation of minerals, East Coast Railway chief public relation officer R.N. Mohapatra said.
Railway officials have gone to the site and launched rescue operations. Investigation is on to know the cause of the accident, he said.
- Maoists blow up rail track in Orissa(Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Maoist camp busted in Orissa, explosives recovered - Apr 10, 2011
- 13 killed as train hits auto-rickshaw in Odisha (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Maoist camp destroyed in Odisha - Aug 08, 2012
- Four Maoists surrender in Orissa - Jun 25, 2011
- Maoists torch police post in Orissa - Feb 10, 2011
- 340 held for illegal mining in Orissa since January - Dec 12, 2010
- 26 hurt in Orissa train collision, a few trains cancelled (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- BJP seeks higher-level probe after mining file goes missing - Dec 12, 2010
- Five men posing as Maoists held for extortion - Dec 27, 2010
- Trade unions' strike hits life, businesses in Orissa - Sep 07, 2010
- Two elephants killed by train in Odisha, driver held - Aug 16, 2012
- Two train accidents injure 21 - Nov 23, 2011
- 800 tonnes of manganese, iron ore seized - Mar 08, 2010
- Land mine planted by Maoists detected in Orissa - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: body parts, district officials, district police, east coast railway, freight trains, goods trains, minerals, orissa, police officer, public relation officer, r n mohapatra, railway officials, rescue operations, single line, trains collide