Two Delhi schools questioned on turning away girl of 7June 28th, 2011 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has questioned the central government and two city-based Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) on a seven-year-old girl’s plea challenging the denial of admission to her in Class 1.
Justice Manmohan Singh directed both the schools, under the human resource development ministry, to keep one seat vacant in Class 1 till the disposal of the girl’s plea.
The court Monday issued notices to the schools and the central government and sought their responses by July 7.
The petition was filed by Hira Saifi, through her counsel Mohammed Azam Ansari, against a May 30 order given by a single judge bench.
The single judge bench dismissed her petition challenging the denial of admission by the Kendriya Vidyalayas at Andrews Ganj and Sadiq Nagar in south Delhi.
“The Andrews Ganj school denied the child admission on the grounds of being over-age for Class 1 and the Sadiq Nagar school turned her away saying that her residence was located beyond the maximum permissible limit of five km from the school,” Ansari said.
“The actions of the schools, besides being illegal and arbitrary, are also discriminatory and not permissible under law,” he said.
He said that both schools should be directed to present all records relating to admissions to Class 1 during this academic year.
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- Ten Delhi schools receive books from US envoy's wife - Apr 11, 2011
- Explain denial of admission to girls, court asks schools - Jul 27, 2010
- Cabinet approves defence land transfer to central school - Jun 16, 2011
- Govt. approves transfer of Defence land to KVS in J-K, Punjab, Manipur - Aug 26, 2010
- Government, school asked to explain admission denial - Apr 20, 2010
- CBSE results: Central schools outshine private schools in Delhi - May 28, 2012
- Seven year old moves court after denial of admission - Apr 15, 2010
- CBSE results: Delhi central schools outshine private schools - May 23, 2011
- Punjabi to Persian, Kendriya Vidyalaya Tehran teaches it all - Aug 29, 2012
- Central government schools to become tobacco free - Feb 28, 2012
- Court notice over girls' admission to Delhi school (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Court directs government to re-admit failed student - Jul 26, 2011
- Girl drags school to court on admission - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: academic year, ansari, azam, central government, child admission, delhi high court, denial, development ministry, ganj, human resource development, kvs, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohammed, New Delhi, old girl, plea, sadiq, saifi, south delhi