Two dead, 20 injured as Pakistani troops foil suicide attack (Lead)August 29th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 29 (DPA) Two people were killed and at least 20 wounded Friday in a foiled car bomb attack on a military camp close to a key road tunnel in Pakistan’s violence-plagued North West Frontier Province, officials said.The incident occurred near the lawless town Darra Adam Khel, 45 km south of the provincial capital Peshawar, as paramilitary troops fired at a pickup truck that failed to heed warnings to stop at a cordon.
“The gunfire detonated explosives packed in the vehicle, killing the suicide bomber,” a military spokesman said, adding that flying debris and shrapnel wounded around 20 Frontier Corps troops guarding Kohat Tunnel.
A local security official in the semi-tribal district said two civlian passers-by were also killed in the blast.
Pro-Taliban militants accepted responsibility for the attack. Their spokesman, who goes by the name Mohammad, told journalists in Kohat by telephone from an undisclosed location that the attack was carried out to avenge Thursday’s arrest of their local commander.
Clashes broke out around Kohat Tunnel early this year during which pro-Taliban fighters also briefly captured the 1.9-km tunnel on the strategic Indus Highway, which connects the province with central and southern Pakistan.
Tensions rose in Darra Adam Khel, a town known for the illegal trade of arms and narcotics, in mid-2007 when militants bombed several video shops and girls’ schools in an attempt to enforce strict Taliban-style Islamic laws in the region.
- 20 Pakistani troops wounded in foiled car bomb attack - Aug 29, 2008
- Aerial attacks kill 22 militants in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2008
- 17 Taliban militants found dead in north-west Pakistan - Feb 28, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban claim responsibility for mosque attack - Nov 06, 2010
- Over 90 killed in Pakistan terror bombings, plane crash - Nov 05, 2010
- Two militant groups infighting led to suicide bombing at Darra Adamkhel mosque - Nov 06, 2010
- Troops kill 50 militants in Pakistan - Sep 23, 2008
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 10 killed in Pakistan suicide attack (Second Lead changing dateline) - May 11, 2009
- Three killed, 24 hurt in another mosque attack in Pak's tribal region - Nov 06, 2010
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Twenty-four militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2009
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011