Two dead, 10 hurt in Kashmir violence (Second Lead)November 22nd, 2008 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 22 (IANS) The number of protesters injured in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town, where two youth died Saturday in firing by security forces at people protesting against the holding of elections in Jammu and Kashmir, has risen to 10, a doctor said.”We have referred 10 injured persons, who reported here with critical injuries, to Srinagar hospital for specialised treatment,” a doctor told IANS on phone from Baramulla.
Violence erupted in the town early Saturday when a mob of anti-poll protesters resorted to heavy stone pelting on the escort vehicle of Congress candidate Mir Mushtaq in Khanpora locality of the town, 55 km from here, the police said.
The armed escorts of the candidate fired at the protesters, killing a Class 10 student, Manzoor Ahmad Kumar, on the spot. The student was hit on the chest, witnesses said.
A large procession of protesters carried the body of the slain youth to the old town area where clashes escalated between the security personnel and the protesters.
“Another protester, identified as Tanvir Ahmad Sheikh, died in the old town firing this (Saturday) afternoon,” a police officer said here.
The government ordered a magisterial probe into the firing and it would be carried out by Baramulla’s additional district magistrate.
- Two killed, 10 injured in Kashmir violence (Third Lead) - Nov 22, 2008
- Two killed in Kashmir violence, Mehbooba faces mob fury (Fourth Lead) - Nov 23, 2008
- Security forces kill two protesters in Kashmir, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 22, 2008
- National Conference activist shot in Kashmir - Feb 05, 2011
- Security forces kill two protesters in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2008
- Militants kill cop in Kashmir - Jun 08, 2011
- Shutdown call by traders affects life in Srinagar (With Image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Toll in Kashmir violence rises to four - Jul 31, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Injured youth dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 109 - Oct 02, 2010
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010