Two critical in Mumbai drunk driving accidentApril 1st, 2012 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Two girls continued to be critical Sunday, a day after their drunk friend, who was driving the car they were in, rammed the vehicle into a tree, police said. A third teenaged girl who was also in the car succumbed to severe head injuries.
Rahul Mishra, 23, who was drunk, lost control of his car and rammed it into a tree early Saturday, police said here Sunday. He escaped with minor injuries and has been remanded in police custody till April 4.
There were two other boys in the car. Of them, Krishna Thewar was badly injured but is out of danger and Amit Gupta suffered minor injuries.
“Mishra was driving under the influence of alcohol. It appears the others had also consumed alcohol,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Pratap Digavkar.
The car turned turtle several times, hit a divider and collided with a stationary auto- rickshaw, whose driver sustained minor injuries.
However, 18-year-old Shivani Rawat died after she was admitted to a Mumbai hospital owing to severe head injuries. Doctors treating her said she had had a heart surgery earlier due to which her heart stopped thrice in two hours while she was being treated.
Another teenager, Nimisha Mane, who was first taken to a Bandra hospital was later shifted to Nanavati hospital in northwest Mumbai, slipped into coma due to severe brain damage. Mane is currently on a ventilator and has suffered a skull bone fracture.
Their friend Priyanka Rai, 22, is still admitted in the ICU.
This is the second incident involving drunk driving in less than a week. On March 25, Ra.One animator Charu Khandal was among three people hurt when a drunk driver slammed his car into the auto-rickshaw in which they were travelling.
- 'Ra.One' animator critical after accident - Mar 26, 2012
- Shah Rukh visits injured animator Charu in hospital - Mar 29, 2012
- Animator Charu to undergo surgery Thursday - Mar 29, 2012
- Truck mows down two women in Delhi - Apr 27, 2012
- Shah Rukh prays for 'RA.One' animator Charu Khandal - Mar 28, 2012
- Three mowed down by speeding vehicle - Aug 23, 2011
- Nine die as bus driver goes berserk in busy Pune (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Ghaziabad accident claims 7 lives - Aug 23, 2011
- Four school kids hurt as car rams rickshaw - Sep 21, 2010
- Four dead in freak multi-vehicle accident (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Overspeeding truck kills one, injures two in Delhi - Mar 11, 2012
- One killed, five injured in two Mumbai road accidents - Apr 19, 2011
- Suspected drunk driver injures 11 cyclists in Los Angeles - Jun 17, 2011
- I'm traumatised after lathicharge: Choreographer Salman - Sep 11, 2012
- Pune stunned as rogue bus driver crushes eight (Second Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: amit gupta, auto rickshaw, bone fracture, brain damage, charu, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, driving under the influence, driving under the influence of alcohol, drunk driver, drunk friend, head injuries, heart surgery, minor injuries, mishra, police custody, pratap, rawat, skull bone, teenaged girl