Two CPI-M leaders killed in BengalFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 22 (IANS) Two Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders, including a former legislator, were killed in a clash in Burdwan district of West Bengal Wednesday, police said.
Pradip Ta, who earlier represented Burdwan North, and district committee member Kamal Gayen were lynched in the clash in Dewandighi.
Four people have been arrested, Superintendent of Police S.H. Mirza told IANS over phone.
The CPI-M blamed the ruling Trinamool Congress for the killings.
“Trinamool men attacked a peaceful procession brought out by our partymen in support of the Feb 28 all-India strike called by trade unions. The Trinamool men used lethal weapons and killed the two leaders,” said CPI-M state secretariat member Shyamal Chakraborty.
West Bengal Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim claimed the CPI-M workers had Wednesday torn the flags of all other parties in the area.
“Their leaders had instigated them at the rally the CPI-M organised in Kolkata Sunday to capture political turf by violent means. So the party forcibly removed the flags of other parties but met with resistance.
“Any death is unfortunate. But in the name of canvassing for the strike, the CPI-M tried to re-establish terror in the area which triggered the incident,” Hakim said.
- Two Bengal CPI-M leaders killed, Left blames Trinamool (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Two Bengal CPI-M leaders killed, Mamata terms it infighting (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Five held for CPI-M leaders' killing remanded to custody (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- CPI-M leaders' killing: CID custody for four arrested - Mar 05, 2012
- Five more held for CPI-M leaders' killing - Mar 19, 2012
- CPI-M condemns murders in Bengal - Feb 22, 2012
- Tripura CPI-M to protest Bengal leaders killing - Feb 23, 2012
- CPI-M leader killed in Bengal - Aug 25, 2012
- Tripura CPI-M protests Bengal murders - Feb 23, 2012
- CPI-M alleges disrespect to slain ex-legislator - Feb 24, 2012
- Petition seeks CBI probe into killings of CPI-M leaders - Feb 23, 2012
- Bengal: Intellectuals protest killing of CPI-M leaders - Feb 24, 2012
- Court orders CID probe in CPI-M leaders' killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Congress dubs Trinamool 'BJP stooge', asked to leave ministry (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Trinamool workers canvass door-to-door for 'Didi' - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: chakraborty, clash, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, development minister, district committee member, hakim, india strike, kamal, killings, kolkata, legislator, lethal weapons, pradip, procession, state secretariat, trade unions, urban development, west bengal