Two convicted, three acquitted in Kandhamal riot caseApril 20th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 20 (IANS) A fast track court in Orissa Tuesday sentenced two people to a four year jail term and acquitted three others in the Kandhamal riot case, officials said.
Naga Pradhan and Bhimsen Pradhan of Raikhala village were accused of torching Barik Digal’s house Sep 30, 2008. Three others N. Pradhan, Natabar Panda and Govinda Pradhan have been acquitted in the case.
“Two were convicted and were sentenced to four years in jail. Three others have been acquitted because of lack of evidence,” public prosecutor P.K. Patra told IANS.
The two have also been awarded a fine of Rs.7,500.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
More than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs that held Christians responsible for Saraswati’s killing, although the police blamed the Maoists.
- Nine get jail, one acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Mar 16, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- One held guilty in Kandhamal riot case - Nov 30, 2009
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Nine convicted, five acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Nov 18, 2009
- Two convicted, 10 acquitted in Kandhamal riots cases - Apr 01, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010
- 15 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 30, 2010
- 13 convicted, 35 acquitted in three Kandhamal riot cases (Lead) - Jan 31, 2010
- 12 convicted, two let off in Kandhamal riot case - Nov 28, 2009
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- BJP legislator acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Nov 24, 2009
- Seventeen acquitted in a Kandhamal riot case - Apr 17, 2010
- One gets four-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jan 29, 2010