Two civilians killed, four wounded in Afghanistan attacksOctober 3rd, 2008 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 3 (DPA) One civilian was killed and four wounded in crossfire between coalition forces and Taliban militants in eastern Afghanistan on Friday, while another civilian was killed in a rebel rocket attack against Afghan forces in the south, officials have said.Taliban militants attacked a convoy of Afghan and US-led coalition forces in the Pech district of eastern Kunar province Friday morning, resulting in deaths of one civilian and injuries to four others, the US military said in a statement.
“Not only did they (militants) attack the joint patrol, but also the local village and surrounding corn fields as well,” the statement said, adding that the Afghan forces returned fire, but “at no time did they fire weapons into the corn fields or the village,” where the civilians were hurt.
The incident is under investigation, the statement said, adding that no coalition soldiers were hurt in the attack.
Meanwhile, insurgents fired a rocket at Afghan forces in the Garmsir district of southern Helmand province Friday morning, NATO said in a statement.
The rocket missed the troops, but shrapnel hit an eight-year-old Afghan boy in the chest, the statement said, adding that the child died despite efforts by NATO forces in the area to treat him.
Afghan civilians often get caught in the crossfire between the international military forces or Afghan soldiers with Taliban militants.
Around 1,500 civilians are among more than 4,000 people who have lost their lives in Afghanistan conflict so far this year.
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- Six children, three NATO troops killed in Afghanistan - Aug 27, 2010
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- 11 killed in Afghan attack - May 16, 2011
- Bombs kill five foreign troops in Afghanistan - Aug 31, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 20 Afghan militants killed - May 28, 2012
- Afghanistan: Taliban commander behind NATO helicopter crash captured - Sep 17, 2012
- Dozens of suspected Afghan insurgents killed in latest NATO operations - Dec 12, 2010
- 16 civilians killed in Afghanistan, ISAF says - Aug 06, 2010
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
- Nearly 40 dead in Afghan violence - Aug 09, 2012
- 50 Taliban killed in NATO drone strike - Aug 18, 2012
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012