Two cabbies sent to judicial custody for British girl’s rapeJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 22 (IANS) A court in Himachal Pradesh Monday sent two cab drivers, accused of raping an 18-year-old British volunteer teacher at Palampur town, to 13 days’ judicial remand, police said.
The volunteer, who was teaching underprivileged children in the region as part of an exchange programme, was allegedly abducted and raped by local residents taxi-owner Rakesh Kumar, 28, and his friend Sunil 26.
“Both the accused were sent to judicial remand for 13 days by a court in Palampur Monday,” investigating officer Shiv Chand told IANS by phone.
Earlier, the court had sent them to police custody.
Shiv Chand said the two cab drivers allegedly abducted the victim, who was returning after her day’s work, on the outskirts of Palampur June 18.
“The accused first molested her in the moving vehicle and then dragged her out and raped her,” the official said.
Palampur is in Kangra district, some 250 km from Shimla.
A total of 42 British citizens have come to India for 10 weeks to teach poor children under an exchange programme.
The rape victim has already left for Britain after deposing before the court. However, other British nationals who came for the charity projects are staying on here.
Kangra Superintendent of Police Atul Kumar Fulzele said: “We are awaiting the forensic laboratory report. Once the report comes, the charge-sheet (in the rape case) would be filed in the court.”
Inspector General S.R. Mardi said the case would preferably be put before a fast-track court for speedy justice.
–Indi-Asian News Service
- Rape victim has left for Britain: police - Jun 21, 2009
- Two cabbies sent to police remand for British girl's rape - Jun 20, 2009
- Two Tibetans arrested for raping German in Himachal (Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- British teen raped in Himachal Pradesh, two arrested (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Custody of two Tibetans extended in Himachal rape case - Jan 21, 2010
- Two Tibetans arrested for raping German in Himachal - Jan 17, 2010
- British girl raped in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 19, 2009
- Women raped by cab driver in south Delhi - Dec 13, 2011
- German woman alleges rape by two youths in Himachal - Jan 16, 2010
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Brit woman who was raped in Dubai taxi by driver reveals all - May 28, 2010
- Kolkata woman who alleged gangrape does volte face - Aug 14, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Three sent to judicial custody - Mar 03, 2012
- Mamata's nephew gets bail - Mar 02, 2012
- Pinki Pramanik suspended from railways' job - Jun 17, 2012