Two BSF troopers killed by terrorists in TripuraAugust 6th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 6 (IANS) In the first major terror strike in Tripura this year, at least two Border Security Force (BSF) troopers were killed Friday in a bomb blast triggered by insurgents near the border with Bangladesh, police said.
“A powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was exploded when BSF jawans were patrolling on foot along the India-Bangladesh border killing two para-military personnel on the spot,” police spokesman Nepal Das told reporters.
The tribal guerrillas belonging to the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) also fired on the BSF personnel immediately after the blast at Ratia in northern Tripura, 170 km north of Tripura capital Agartala.
Das said: “The two riflemen - Arup Das (31) and Brajendri Lal (34) - died instantly while the other BSF troopers retaliated with gunfire.”
Senior police and BSF officials rushed with reinforcements to the spot and launched a combing operation to nab the extremists.
The banned NLFT along with another outlawed outfit, All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF), has been fighting for an independent tribal homeland in Tripura and operates out of Bangladesh.
This was the first militant attack this year in Tripura, bordering Bangladesh.
The last terror strike had taken place Nov 9 last year in which eight tribal villagers, including four women, were killed and another woman injured by NLFT rebels.
The NLFT and the ATTF along with other terrorist outfits of the northeast for the past many years have been boycotting national days, Republic Day and Independence day, and observe bandhs and hoist black flags in their respective areas of domination.
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Official killed in militant ambush in Tripura - Jan 31, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Terrorists reviving outfits in Tripura, says police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Tribal militants abduct six people in Tripura - Jul 01, 2011
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing, Tripura border village tense - Jan 27, 2011
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Economic development tamed terrorism: Tripura Police chief - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: agartala, attf, black flags, bomb blast, border security force, bsf, explosive device, four women, guerrillas, gunfire, lal, national liberation front, police spokesman, ratia, reinforcements, republic day, riflemen, terrorist outfits, tiger force, tribal homeland