Two beaten to death in BiharApril 24th, 2008 - 6:12 pm ICT by admin
Patna, April 24 (IANS) In two incidents of ‘mob justice’, a man was lynched for allegedly attempting to rape a girl while another man was beaten to death for opposing extramarital relations of his wife in Bihar. Mithilesh Singh was lynched for allegedly attempting to rape a girl at Kelbanni-Dahiyar village under Rosra police station in Samastipur district, about 100 km from here, police said Thursday.
Singh entered the house of Manju Devi, a ward member in the village, and allegedly tried to rape her twelve-year-old daughter. But the family members caught him and beat him to death, a police official said.
In another case, Nasib Paswan was beaten to death by the family members of his wife for opposing her extramarital relations in Betadi village in Bhojpur district, about 70 km from here.
Police have begun investigations.
In rural Bihar, “mob justice” is increasingly becoming common. Last year, over three dozen cases of lynching were reported and many more have gone unreported.
The worst lynching case was reported in September last year when 10 people from the underprivileged Kueri community in Vaishali district were beaten to death over an alleged theft. Later, a high-level probe found that the men were not thieves.
- `Street justice' in the bylanes of Bihar - May 02, 2008
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 07, 2011
- Five suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Jun 08, 2010
- Man accused of killing CPI-M leader murdered - Mar 10, 2012
- School principal beaten to death over land in Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Three people lynched in Bihar - Jan 02, 2009
- Mob rule: two men beaten to death in Bihar (Lead) - May 23, 2009
- Boy killed in Bihar for plucking mangoes - May 25, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- 71 nabbed for lynching 10 men - Aug 04, 2011
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Four nomads lynched in Bihar - Aug 07, 2009