Two arrested in hooch tragedy in AllahabadSeptember 8th, 2010 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 8 (IANS) Two people, including a woman, have been arrested in connection with the hooch tragedy that claimed seven lives in Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad district, police said Wednesday.
Six people died after drinking illicit liquor Tuesday in Mau Aima town, some 200 km from here. Police had earlier termed the deaths as “natural” but district authorities later confirmed that spurious liquor was the cause. Another person died Wednesday afternoon.
“Of the four accused in the case, two have been arrested,” Superintendent of Police (Trans-Gomti) Vinod Mishra told reporters in Allahabad, some 200-km from Lucknow.
The prime accused, identified as Nate, is absconding.
“Investigations reveal Nate was involved in selling the spurious liquor along with his family members and relatives. Efforts are on to nab him,” added Mishra.
Meanwhile, district police and officials of the excise department, in a joint operation, recovered a huge stock of spurious liquor in Mau Aima town.
“Preliminary inquiry indicates that the pouches were brought from Jharkhand,” a police official said.
Meanwhile, four policemen and three excise officials have already been suspended for negligence, authorities said Wednesday.
- Seven suspended after hooch claims six lives - Sep 08, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh hooch tragedy toll 9, prime accused held - Sep 09, 2010
- Six die after drinking moonshine - Sep 18, 2010
- 13 held for hooch tragedy in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Bihar's hooch tragedy toll rises to 11 - Feb 21, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Main accused in Uttar Pradesh hooch tragedy held - Feb 22, 2010
- Man, cop held for Uttar Pradesh hooch tragedy (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Punjab hooch deaths rise to 18 - Oct 29, 2010
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Night Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: district authorities, district police, excise department, family members, hooch tragedy, illicit liquor, investigations, lucknow, nate, negligence, police official, policemen, pouches, preliminary inquiry, seven lives, spurious liquor, superintendent, uttar pradesh, vinod mishra, wednesday afternoon