Two arrested for killing peacock in Uttar PradeshOctober 31st, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 31 (IANS) Two people were arrested Friday for killing a peacock in Uttar Pradesh, state forest officials said.”The incident took place Thursday when two brothers killed a peacock after netting it in Dewa town in Barabanaki, some 25 km from Lucknow,” Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) A.P. Tripathi told IANS by phone.
He said the two men, who have been handed over to the police, are yet to state the reason behind killing the national bird.
Beautiful feathers of the peacock and its fat, used in the treatment of arthritis, fetch a good amount.
Peacock is protected under Section 51 (1-A) of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 and its killing is strictly prohibited.
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- Poachers held with peacock carcasses - Apr 08, 2010
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- Peacock Poacher arrested with three carcasses - Nov 24, 2010
- Man held with peacock carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2011
- Three arrested for killing peacocks - Aug 03, 2009
- Three peacock poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 14, 2009
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- Peacocks found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 15, 2008
- Land of Krishna protests ban on peacock feather trade - Jul 04, 2010
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- Two poachers held with deer carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 16, 2010
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012