Two arrested for Katwa rapeMarch 3rd, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 3 (IANS) Two people have been arrested for the alleged rape of a woman in Katwa area of West Bengal’s Burdwan district, police said Saturday, contradicting Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee who termed the crime “fabricated”.
“We have arrested two people from Birbhum’s Labhpur last night (Friday) in connection with the alleged rape at Katwa. We have sought their police custody for further interrogation,” Burdwan’s Superintendent of police S.H. Mirza said.
The accused Nayan Sheikh and Farid Sheikh were remanded to 10 days’ police custody by a court.
The arrests come four days after Banerjee had rubbished the allegations of a middle-aged woman in a police complaint that she was raped by a gang of robbers after she tried to confront them during a robbery attempt Feb 26 in a suburban train near Katwa.
The chief minister had instead alleged that the opposition Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) was orchestrating a malicious campaign, drawing a furious response from the left party which termed her statements “irresponsible”.
“A complaint of rape has been filed. Nothing has been found in the medical report. Where is the evidence? I do not think any incident of rape has taken place. I hear a political party, of which the woman’s husband is a supporter, has planned to use its workers to cry rape,” Banerjee had said Feb 28.
Reacting to Banerjee’s claim, the woman had said: “I am a woman, why I would make such a complaint unless it has happened with me? Why doesn’t she investigate to find what is the truth?”
Following the incident, two people were arrested Feb 28 from Katwa and were sent to seven days’ police custody by the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court (Katwa). However, the charges pressed by police against them did not mention rape.
- Mamata terms another rape incident fake - Feb 28, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Minor school girl raped in Bengal - Aug 03, 2012
- Journalist's beating, woman's rape; Mamata says all cooked up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Visit not to pressurise Bengal government: Rights body - Apr 03, 2012
- As Mamata says 'all cooked up', Marxists hit road (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 04, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- NCW members to visit Kolkata April 2 - Mar 31, 2012
- Mamata rule disappoints many women (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 18, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Suspect's fiancee offers help to police - Feb 21, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Governor defends Mamata - Feb 23, 2012
- Woman in Kolkata alleges rape by tenants - May 19, 2012
- Teenaged girl raped, friend molested in West Bengal - Jun 30, 2012
- Mamata says her Park Street rape statement distorted - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: banerjee, birbhum, burdwan district, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, district police, farid, interrogation, judicial magistrate, medical report, middle aged woman, nayan, police complaint, police custody, robbers, robbery attempt, suburban train, west bengal