Two arrested for international credit card fraud in DelhiJune 20th, 2008 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Two youths, who would procure Indian credit cards and re-write the magnetic information on them with that of American banks, were arrested here for fraud, the police said here Friday. According to police, the two - Manoj Gupta (24) and Saurabh Dwiedi (25) - have worked in leading multi-national banks in the past where they hit upon the idea of loading local credit cards with magnetic memory of international credit cards.
Malaysia-based Mohammad Hassan provided the magnetic information of international credit cards to them on e-mail, the police added.
“The owner of the swipe machine is taken into confidence and he swipes the card for whatever amount the credit card allows, depending on the credit limit of the card. As soon as he swipes the card, the money is electronically transferred into the account of the swipe machine owner from the account of the actual owner of the card,” a police officer said.
The swipe machine owner then takes a cut of about 5-6 percent of the transaction and pays the duo cash of the remaining amount.
“The genuine owner in the US receives an outstanding credit bill by the next billing cycle. He contests the inflated bill, as he had never left the US. The loss is either borne by the bank or by the insurance company, and since the fraud occurs in India no one is likely to pursue the matter from the US,” the officer said.
The duo told the police that since April 2008 they had swindled nearly Rs.1 million.
“The duo was arrested Thursday from their office in Paschimpuri area in west Delhi. On investigation, it was found that these credit cards contained magnetic data of international banks like Citibank International US, Chase Bank US and Capital One Bank US,” the officer added.
“About 18 credit cards of various banks, five forged PAN cards, a data reader machine, Rs.10,000 cash and a swipe machine were seized from them.”
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- Gang of credit card cheats busted - Jan 25, 2011
- iPhone swipe enough to pay for your shopping - Jan 27, 2011
- Hi-tech gang of ATM robbers busted - Mar 29, 2012
- Gang of credit card cheats busted - Jan 28, 2011
- Eight held for credit card fraud - Oct 20, 2011
- Several parties involved in Citibank fraud, says Aggarwal - Jan 05, 2011
- Citibank manager who duped investors of Rs.100 crore untraced - Dec 29, 2010
- CitiBank fraud not a systemic failure: Mukherjee - Dec 29, 2010
- Citibank assistant manager held for fraud - Jun 22, 2009
- Citibank fraud: Main accused Puri's remand extended till Friday - Jan 12, 2011
- Now, a credit card that 'talks' to you! - Mar 11, 2011
- Citibank manager who duped investors of Rs.200 crore untraced (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- 2 Nigerians held for using cloned credit cards - May 14, 2010
- Banks to be held responsible for fake notes in ATMs - Jan 27, 2012