Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in MeghalayaJanuary 26th, 2011 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, Jan 25 (IANS) Two rebels of the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) Tuesday were arrested along with two AK-47 rifles and 85 rounds of live ammunition in Meghalaya, police said.The Khasi militant group has called a 24-hour shutdown starting from 6 p.m. Tuesday in eastern part of Meghalaya against the Republic Day celebrations.
Police said the duo identified - Rilang and Batskhem - arrested from Ladthalaboh area under Jowai police station in Jaintia Hills district.
“Police nabbed the duo from a roadside at Ladthalaboh area and recovered two AK-47 rifles, four magazines and ammunition,” O.Passi, the police chief of Jaintia Hills district, told IANS.
Police are questioning the duo about their plans, even as raids were conducted in Shillong to flush out the rebels.
According to intelligence inputs, a group of seven to eight HNLC rebels have infiltrated from Bangladesh with an intention to disrupt the Republic Day celebrations.
The HNLC, which conducts hit-and-run operations from its hideout in Bangladesh, has been demanding a sovereign Khasi homeland in the eastern part of Meghalaya.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of it porous, hilly and unfenced, and prone to frequent infiltration.
The Khasi militant outfit is closely linked to he National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) as well as to the Isak-Muivah faction of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland and the National Liberation Front of Tripura.
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Ex-member of rebel group held in Meghalaya - Feb 24, 2012
- Rebels sneak into Meghalaya to disrupt I-Day celebrations: Minister - Aug 12, 2010
- Meghalaya heightens security ahead of I-Day - Aug 11, 2010
- Security stepped up in Meghalaya as rebels call shutdown - Aug 14, 2010
- Top rebel of outlawed Khasi militant outfit arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- Governor laments rising militancy in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2012
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Four Indians convicted in Bangladesh were militants: Police - May 02, 2010
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- Meghalaya rebel group says its leader is in Bangladesh - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,