Two antique idols recovered, smugglers’ gang bustedJune 23rd, 2009 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Two people were arrested and two priceless antique idols were recovered from them as Delhi Police’s Crime Branch said Tuesday it had busted a gang involved in smuggling of such artefacts.
“The accused, Suresh and Nepal Singh, were arrested Monday from south Delhi while they were trying to sell the two stolen antiquities,” a police official said.
A 14th century idol of Lord Mahavir in meditation posture, made of bronze, was recovered from Suresh and a ninth century stone sculpture was recovered from Nepal Singh.
“Archaeological Survey of India officials, after preliminary examination, confirmed that both sculptures are precious antiquities,” said the official.
Police are looking for two more people, identified as Gurdeep and Rajesh, who had given the idols to the accused for sale. “Efforts are on to arrest Gurdeep and Rajesh and to ascertain the source of these antiques,” the official added.
- Two arrested with antique idols - Jul 08, 2011
- Six held for bid to sell antique idol in Delhi - May 29, 2010
- Four arrested with antique idols in Delhi - Oct 26, 2010
- Stolen antique idols seized, five held - May 21, 2011
- US seizes stolen statues from Indian art dealer - Jul 28, 2012
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- CBI seizes antique sculpture - Mar 29, 2012
- Delhi Police seize antique statue - May 10, 2010
- Three arrested with antique idol in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 06, 2010
- Britain returns stolen artefacts to Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- Three held with antique idols - Oct 24, 2011
- Grave robbers freaked out by pony-tailed mummy - Mar 22, 2012
- Two arrested while trying to sell antique idol - May 10, 2010
- Drugs worth Rs.93 lakh seized, four heldin Delhi - Jul 30, 2011
- Two held for smuggling of antique idols - Sep 10, 2011