Two Agra girls drown in river YamunaApril 24th, 2008 - 3:46 pm ICT by admin
Agra, April 24 (IANS) Two girls drowned in river Yamuna while two others swam to safety and another was rescued in village Sikandarpur in Agra, police said Thursday. Five girls, around 11 years of age, were playing `I Spy’ on the relatively dry Yamuna riverbed late Wednesday evening.
While playing, they strayed into the shallows and began to drown in the river water. Two girls managed to swim to safety while an engineering student, Rajveer, saved one girl.
“Unfortunately, two girls, Kanchan and Jyoti, could not be saved and their bodies have not yet been recovered,” said a police official.
Villagers assisted police divers in the search operation.
Villagers told the police that the girls “got caught in a whirlpool and found it hard to get out”.
“They appear to have strayed into the river,” said a villager.
- Two drowned in Agra - May 25, 2011
- 11 students drowned in China - Jun 10, 2012
- No recognition for Agra lifeguard who saved 50 lives (With Image) - May 23, 2012
- Four drown in Agra on Ganga Dashera - Jun 11, 2011
- Three boys drown in Yamuna, two bodies recovered - Oct 17, 2010
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Nine Puja revellers drown in Bihar - Oct 05, 2011
- At least 36 killed after Indian boat sinks in whirlpool - Oct 11, 2010
- Elderly father dies while saving drowning daughter - Jul 16, 2011
- Yamuna clean-up operation begins in Taj city - Apr 20, 2012
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Three teenagers drown in Agra - Jun 20, 2011
- Teenager drowns in Yamuna river - Mar 20, 2011
- Three drown in Yamuna - Sep 11, 2011
- Six dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2010