Twitter record over Osama’s killingMay 3rd, 2011 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 3 (IANS) An astounding 3,440 tweets per second were posted on an average over Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s killing in Pakistan, setting a new Twitter record.
Osama bin Laden was killed by US commandos in a raid carried out at a mansion where he was hiding in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city.
There was very heavy online chatter Sunday night and during President Barack Obama’s address to announce Osama’s killing. Twitter users posted messages at an average rate of 3,440 tweets per second, CNN reported.
“Last night saw the highest sustained rate of tweets ever. From 10:45 p.m. - 2:20 a.m. ET (Eastern Time), there was an average of 3,000 tweets per second,” the company’s official public relations news feed wrote, before updating the figure to 3,440.
It did not say which other events the Sunday’s development had beaten to set the new record.
At its peak, Twitter users posted 5,106 tweets per second.
Many learnt about Osama’s death through the social media.
“I heard about it via twitter while in the middle of doing my podcast about video games — needless to say it derailed the PSN (PlayStation Network) talk,” wrote a Twitter user.
Yet another wrote: “Heard it on Twitter, where else ;).”
- Twitter sets new record with Bin Laden's death - May 04, 2011
- Twitter users post more than 12,000 tweets per second during Super Bowl - Feb 06, 2012
- Osama, who? ask clueless teenagers - May 04, 2011
- Osama's death news leaked before Obama spoke - May 02, 2011
- Pakistanis shocked over Osama death, angry at US - May 02, 2011
- Nathan Eccleston to be investigated for his 9/11 comments - Sep 14, 2011
- Celebs laud Osama Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Fake Martin Luther King Jr. quote goes viral on the Internet - May 04, 2011
- Memo documents Obama's order to get Osama - Apr 27, 2012
- Palin to Obama: Stop 'pussy-footing around' over release of Osama death photos - May 05, 2011
- Osama sought to kill Obama: Report (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Bollywood cheers, jeers Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Bigelow to direct film on Osama death? - Jan 16, 2012
- White House bunker during Bin Laden raid virals sweeping the web - May 05, 2011
- Osama wanted to kill Obama to create chaos: Washington Post (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2012