Twenty-six police officials posted in Bihar jail suspendedAugust 20th, 2008 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 20 (IANS) Twenty-six police officials including the officer in charge of the Siwan jail in Bihar were suspended in connection with recovery of mobile phones from the inmates of the prison, officials said here Wednesday.Thirty-seven mobile phones were seized from the inmates of Siwan jail during a raid Aug 3. A dozen mobile chargers, 15 telephone diaries, a headphone, knifes, seven bottles of imported perfume and some cash were also seized from the prisoners.
Of the phones seized, seven were recovered from Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Mohammad Shahabuddin’s ward.
Police officials including jailor Ramadhar Singh and his deputy Rajendra Prasad were suspended by the Inspector General of Prisons Sandeep Poundereek, the officials said.
“Departmental proceedings against them would be initiated soon,” they added.
Siwan district Superintendent of Police (SP) Umesh Kumar said that acting on information that inmates were making calls through mobile phones from the jail, officials had conducted the raid.
A Lok Sabha member from Siwan since 1996, Shahabuddin is involved in over 40 criminal cases, including those of murder, abduction and possession of illegal arms.
- 26 police officials suspended after Bihar jail raid (Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Mobile phones seized from former MP in jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Mobile phones seized from former RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Prisoners beat up Rajasthan jailor - Mar 21, 2012
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Voters list recovered from Bihar jail - Sep 18, 2010
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Meerut jail-break: Prisons across Uttar Pradesh raided - Jul 21, 2010
- 37 mobile phones seized from Bihar jail - Aug 03, 2008
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Mobiles, knife seized from Jharkhand jail - Jan 18, 2011
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Bihar official in trouble for favouring jailed MP - Aug 06, 2008
- Case against jail staff after mobiles found in raid - Feb 07, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012