Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch footballMarch 5th, 2012 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, March 5 (IANS) PSV suffered a humiliating 2-6 home defeat against FC Twente in the Dutch Eredivisie football.
AZ Alkmaar took over the top position from PSV by beating Heracles Almelo 3-1 Saturday.
In an astonishing first half, FC Twente outclassed PSV and scored four times via Ola John, Willem Janssen, Peter Wisgerhof and Luuk de Jong.
Six minutes into the second half, Twente defender Douglas received a red card for kicking Ola Toivonen and Twente was down to ten men.
Toivonen scored the first PSV goal four minutes after the red card, but that was not the start of a revival. Leroy Fer made it 5- 1 after a long solo effort, Toivonen added another goal, but the Willem Janssen produced the final goal on behalf of Twente. For the first time in Eredivisie history, PSV conceded six goals at home.
“That first half was very strange,” Toivonen said afterwards to TV channel Eredivisie Live. “We made a lot of mistakes and they could break through our defense. We cannot allow this at the level of PSV. I have no words for it.”
Also on Sunday, Ajax played a bad first half against Roda JC, trailing 1-0 through a Sanharib Malki goal. After half-time, the Amsterdam based team bounced back. Substitute Lorenzo Ebecilio, who came in for injured Miralem Sulejmani, scored three goals and Vurnon Anita added the fourth.
Feyenoord defeated FC Groningen 1-0 in Rotterdam, with Jordy Clasie becoming match winner on the stroke of half-time. Groningen defender Johan Kappelhof was sent off in the 88th minute. Vitesse beat De Graafschap 2-0, while FC Utrecht drew 0-0 against NEC Nijmegen and SC Heerenveen also drew 0-0 at ADO Den Haag.
- Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC Twente - Apr 30, 2012
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Heracles reaches first Dutch Cup final - Mar 23, 2012
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- FC Twente striker De Jong suffers ankle injury - Mar 23, 2012
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- PSV eliminate holders FC Twente in Dutch Cup - Dec 23, 2011
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Dutch league match suspended due to dense fog - Nov 21, 2011
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: ado den haag, az alkmaar, de graafschap, dutch eredivisie, dutch football, fc utrecht, feyenoord, four minutes, hague, heracles almelo, janssen, luuk, miralem sulejmani, nec nijmegen, psv, sc heerenveen, six minutes, solo effort, toivonen, willem