Twelve killed, dozens missing as boat sinks in AmazonMay 5th, 2008 - 11:15 am ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, May 5 (IANS) At least 12 people have been killed and dozens are missing after an overcrowded boat sank in the Amazon River in northwestern Brazil, emergency service officials said. The boat with nearly 80 people aboard sank at around 5 a.m. Sunday off the town of Manacapuru, some 50 km west of Manaus, the capital of Brazil’s Amazonas province, the officials said, adding that rescue workers found the bodies of 10 women and two men from the river, EFE news agency reported Monday.
The fire department sent 12 divers to search for the missing occupants of the vessel, while the state police marine patrol dispatched two boats to assist in rescue and recovery efforts.
The cause of the accident was not yet known. But reports said the boat, which had a capacity of 50 people, was overcrowded. It was returning to Manacapuru from Lago do Pesqueiro.
According to navy officials, the river is about 100 metres deep at the site where the boat sank.
This was the second accident in the state in just over two months. In February, eight people were killed when a boat went down on a stretch of the Amazan near Itacotiara, some 270 km from Manaus.
- Hundreds missing as migrants' boat sinks off Indonesia - Dec 18, 2011
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- 16 missing after plane crashed into Brazilian river - Feb 08, 2009
- 12 feared dead after ferry sinks in eastern China - Aug 17, 2012
- Ship carrying 185 people sinks in Amazon - Jul 22, 2009
- Four dead as overloaded boat capsizes in Bihar - Jun 14, 2011
- 24 killed in Brazil plane crash - Feb 09, 2009
- Death toll in Brazil shipwreck rises to 45 - May 08, 2008
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- Ten children die in Brazilian boat sinking - Sep 14, 2010
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Eight die in China boat capsize - Sep 10, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Toll in Iranian boat tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012