TV serials inspired Chhattisgarh woman to kill husbandFebruary 10th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 10 (IANS) Inspired by television crime serials, a 26-year-old woman hired killers to murder her alcoholic husband in a village on the outskirts of this Chhattisgarh capital, police said Tuesday.
Savita Verma was arrested Monday night and confessed to the police that her brother Devendra Verma, 24, had helped her hire Jurawan Verma, 24, and Ramkumar Verma, 26, to kill her husband Manoj Verma, 27, on Jan 18 in exchange for Rs.100,000.
“Savita’s husband was an alcoholic who regularly fought with her. Tired of his addiction and inspired by TV serials, she hired two criminals to kill him. She promised to give them Rs.100,000 after being paid by Manoj’s insurance company,” crime branch official Praveenchand Rai told reporters here.
Manoj had a Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) insurance policy for Rs.300,000. The criminals hired by his wife abducted him on the night of Jan 18, took him to a deserted place in Tulsi village and chopped off his head.
Following Savita’s confession, the two criminals and her brother were also arrested late Monday.
- Parents of man who filed gangrape complaint scared for his safety - Feb 07, 2011
- Reliance Life Insurance to hire 5,500 agents on payroll - Aug 16, 2012
- Three held for murder of Amrita Pritam's son - Sep 20, 2012
- Two arrested for attack on gang leader in Ghaziabad - Nov 25, 2011
- Reward announced for capture of escaped convict - Jun 20, 2011
- Breakthroughs in Rajasthan nurse case, two held (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Abducted toddler rescued; maid arrested (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Teenaged girl helps nab traffickers on tip from TV serial - Aug 31, 2012
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained - Feb 04, 2012
- If I've a role for Maria Susairaj, I won't hesitate: RGV - Aug 12, 2011
- Why shouldn't you get death, apex court asks killer of five - Sep 03, 2011
- Woman arrested for getting husband killed - Feb 08, 2010
- Honour killing convict planned murder of victim's kin - Jan 19, 2011
- Rs.40 lakh robbed from jeweller's house - Apr 07, 2011
- Kidnapped toddler rescued, maid and accomplices arrested (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011