TV serial actor held for extortion bidFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Anil Kumar, who has acted in television shows like “CID” and “Aahat”, was arrested here along with his associate for extorting Rs.5 lakh from a businessman, police said Wednesday. Kumar, a Delhi-based freelance photographer, had left for Mumbai in 2008 to work in TV serials. Not achieving much success in his acting career, he returned to Delhi last year.
According to police, a businessman of central Delhi reported that he was receiving extortion calls in which the accused, posing as members of an underworld gang “Suleman”, were demanding Rs.5 lakh from him.
A deal was fixed. The businessman was asked to deliver the money Tuesday near Madipur Metro station.
“We placed notes of Rs.1,000 on top of wads of paper. We laid a trap and Kumar, who came on a bike to collect the bag, was apprehended,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime and Railways) Ashok Chand.
“During interrogation, Kumar said he along with his associate Anupam Arora (25), a resident of Punjabi Bagh, had hatched the conspiracy to extort money from the businessman. Arora too was apprehended,” Chand added.
Arora was unemployed for the past two years. He started a business in mobile phones at Madipur, but suffered losses.
- 8 cricket bookies arrested in Delhi - Feb 20, 2011
- Jeweller's employee held for helping robbers - Dec 22, 2010
- Two held for extorting money from businessman's son - May 25, 2011
- Businessman held for kidnapping minor boy - Jul 07, 2011
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- Barber held for extortion - Feb 13, 2011
- Man held for making extortion call - Apr 19, 2012
- Two held for extortion bid in capital - Jan 10, 2011
- Man tries to extort money from neighbour, arrested - Sep 21, 2011
- Four arrested for blackmailing businessman - Aug 08, 2010
- Management graduate held for Rs.1 crore extortion bid - Nov 22, 2011
- Sacked employee held for kidnapping minor - Aug 30, 2011
- Travel firm owner, wife held for cheating - Jul 17, 2012
- Three 'cyber journalists' held for blackmail, extortion bid - Mar 22, 2011
- Two held for kidnapping, killing lawyer's son - Nov 26, 2011