Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in IraqJuly 24th, 2008 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, July 24 (DPA) Turkish warplanes have bombed Kurdish rebel targets inside northern Iraq, the Turkish General Staff announced Thursday. In a short statement on its official website, the General Staff said Turkish Air Force planes successfully Wednesday night hit 13 suspected Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) targets in the Zap region of northern Iraq not far from the Turkish border. The statement said that special care was taken not to hit civilian properties.
Turkish warplanes have carried out a number of bombing raids on PKK positions in northern Iraq since February when it launched incursion into northern Iraq which saw troops sent across the border to seek out PKK rebels and their camps.
According to the Turkish military, 240 PKK fighters, 24 Turkish soldiers and three Turkish state-employed village guards were killed in the week-long operation.
Ankara blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 32,000 people since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated south-east of Turkey.
The PKK is listed by the United States and the European Union as a terrorist group.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in Iraq - Apr 16, 2008
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- Turkish air force strikes Kurdish rebel positions in Iraq - May 03, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- Seven Kurdish separatists killed in Turkey - Apr 02, 2008
- Turkish planes strike Kurdish targets in Iraq - Feb 06, 2009
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Turkish troops advancing on Kurdish rebel headquarters - Feb 25, 2008
- Troops kill 11 Kurdish separatists in Turkey - Mar 13, 2008
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Abductions highlight Turkey's ongoing civil conflict - Jul 15, 2008