Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in IraqApril 16th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by admin
Ankara, April 16 (DPA) Turkish warplanes attacked Kurdish separatists in northern Iraq Tuesday, according to a statement issued by the Turkish military Wednesday. In a short statement posted on its official website, the Turkish General Staff said warplanes hit a group of Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) guerrillas in mountainous northern Iraq who were attempting to cross into Turkey to launch attacks.
The statement said that on the same day clashes between Turkish troops and PKK rebels in the south-eastern Turkish provinces of Diyarbakir and Sirnak had left one PKK rebel dead and resulted in the seizure of a large number of weapons and explosives.
The fighting Tuesday came one-and-a-half months after Turkey ended a week-long incursion into northern Iraq which saw up to 10,000 soldiers sent across the border to seek out Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels and their camps.
According to the Turkish military, 240 PKK fighters, 24 Turkish soldiers and three Turkish state-employed village guards were killed in the week-long operation.
Ankara blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 32,000 people since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated south-east of Turkey.
The PKK is listed by the United States and the European Union as a terrorist group.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- Turkish air force strikes Kurdish rebel positions in Iraq - May 03, 2008
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- Abductions highlight Turkey's ongoing civil conflict - Jul 15, 2008
- Seven Kurdish separatists killed in Turkey - Apr 02, 2008
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- 10 Turkish soldiers, 10 PKK rebels killed in clashes - Oct 16, 2008