Turkish army chief on maiden India visitMarch 31st, 2008 - 8:27 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) Global terrorism and UN peacekeeping missions featured prominently during talks here Monday between the Indian Army chief, Gen. Deepak Kapoor, and his visiting Turkish counterpart Gen. Mehmet Ilker Basbug. “Both the chiefs shared a common platform on matters such as global terrorism and UN peacekeeping missions,” a defence ministry statement said.
“Both countries have pledged to improve military bilateral relations in terms of training at defence institutions,” the statement added.
This is the first time a Turkish army chief is visiting India.
Earlier Monday, Basbug laid a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti memorial to the Unknown Soldier at India Gate. He was then accorded a guard of honour on his arrival at the defence ministry headquarters at South Block.
After his talks with Kapoor, Basbug met Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju, Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta and Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major.
The visiting chief also visited the Defence Research and Development Organisation and the National Defence College.
India’s interaction with Turkey in the defence sector was revived in March 1986 when the then Turkish prime minister visited India. The following year, the defence attach
- 11 Turkish generals held for 1997 coup - May 10, 2012
- India offers to strengthen Kyrgyz armed forces - Sep 09, 2011
- Indian army chief discusses cross-border terror with Nepal (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Indian Army chief to visit Britain from Monday - Feb 12, 2012
- Indian Army chief leaves for Britain on official visit - Feb 13, 2012
- Army chief on four-day trip to Australia - Aug 20, 2010
- Singapore defence chief in India to expand ties - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian Army chief gets May 31 retirement notice; Israel trip nixed (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian Army chief in Nepal to strengthen military bond - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- India commits to capacity-building of Afghan armed forces (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka army chief meets UN peacekeeping officials - Sep 18, 2011
- Indian Army fast-tracks air defence guns' purchase - Apr 13, 2012
- Non-state actors make peacekeeping more challenging: Army chief - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian Army has become more transparent, says V.K. Singh - May 31, 2012