Turkey seeks free trade agreement with GulfMarch 28th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by admin
Abu Dhabi, March 28 (IANS) Turkey is negotiating a free trade agreement with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and other Gulf states, WAM news agency reported Friday. In an exclusive interview with the Dubai-based newspaper Khaleej Times, Turkish President Abdullah Gul said his country attached great importance to the security and stability of the region and called for dialogue rather than using force to resolve problems.
“Economic cooperation and trade are the main objectives for the welfare of our region. The policy of ’soft power’ is worthy of applause. But the US uses hard power to impose its will on other nations,” the Turkish president said.
Stressing that Turkey’s ties with the Gulf countries has improved in the last four to five years, Gul said: “This comes from the strategic outlook that we have towards this region, towards all the Gulf States. This view is based on the two pillars of security and economics.”
Earlier in February Gul had reiterated Turkey’s commitment to boosting ties with the UAE. After the UAE-Turkey joint committee meeting in Ankara, he said private sectors of both countries should seize opportunities provided by economic reforms.
UAE and Turkey are expected to increase their bilateral trade to $10 billion in the next two years.
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- Culture, education helping Arab-China relations: UAE daily - Dec 30, 2011
- UAE, Germany hold talks - Dec 14, 2011
- Ansari to go to Turkey Monday, focus on trade - Oct 08, 2011
- Nuclear plants needed to meet energy demand: UAE paper - Nov 14, 2010
- South Korea seeks to improve ties with UAE - Feb 05, 2011
- UAE relief ships arrive in Benghazi - Mar 17, 2011
- Foreign ministers of Turkey, six Gulf nations meet - Jan 29, 2012
- UAE, Turkey discuss economic, trade relations - Feb 11, 2011
- UAE holds talks with Britain, France - Nov 16, 2011
- Turkey to strengthen relations with Pakistan - Aug 12, 2011
- Patil meets UAE president - Nov 22, 2010
- India a nation of immense power and presence: UAE daily - Nov 23, 2010
- Pakistan wants more EU market access for its products - Oct 12, 2011
- UAE holds talks with Italy, Cambodia, Germany - Jun 11, 2011