Turban disrespect: Punjab government seeks reportMarch 31st, 2011 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 31 (IANS) After ordering the suspension of two police officers and a magisterial inquiry into the incident of a Sikh man’s turban being removed, the Punjab government Thursday asked the state chief secretary to submit a preliminary enquiry report into the incident within two days.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal directed Chief Secretary S.C. Agarwal that the enquiry against two police officers, involved in showing disrespect to the turban of a protesting pharmacist, be completed and the report submitted within 48 hours to ensure prompt and exemplary punishment to the guilty.
The Punjab government had Wednesday ordered immediate suspension of two police officers for allegedly removing the turban of a Sikh man during a protest in Mohali town, 10 km from here, on Monday.
Those suspended included a superintendent of police (SP) and a station house officer (SHO) in Mohali.
A magisterial inquiry was also ordered into the incident.
Badal, who is also Punjab’s home minister, also directed that utmost vigil be taken against recurrence of any such incidents. He said that any government officer or official found guilty of showing disrespect to the turban or any religious symbol of any community would be dealt with sternly.
The incident occurred at Mohali Monday where pharmacists from Punjab were holding a protest for their demands and the Punjab Police initiated action to control the crowd.
During the protest, the two police officers were seen removing the turban of a Sikh protestor.
- Two police officers suspended over turban removal - Mar 30, 2011
- Police officers booked for disrespect to turban - Apr 05, 2011
- Terrorist tag for Punjab Police demanded after turban incident - Mar 30, 2011
- Seek stop to US turban checking, Badal urges PM - Dec 13, 2010
- Curfew continues in Gurdaspur, Badal orders probe - Mar 30, 2012
- Jalandhar girl's suicide: Woman police officer suspended - Aug 31, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US (Lead, correcting para six) - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US - Aug 06, 2012
- Chandigarh kidnapping case: Three cops suspended - Jan 19, 2011
- At 84, Badal begins fifth innings as chief minister (Profile) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Raise headgear issue with Obama, Sukhbir Badal urges PM - Nov 08, 2010
- Badal to begin fifth term as chief minister Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,