Tunnel used by drug gang found under Mexico-US borderSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Sep 3 (DPA) Police in the northern Mexican state of Baja California have found a tunnel under the border between Mexico and the US that was used by drug traffickers to introduce illegal substances into the US, the authorities said.The tunnel was 1.5 metres tall and had lighting and ventilation systems, an elevator and air conditioning, said police director Juan Miguel Guillen Gutierrez Tuesday.
The entrance to the tunnel was some 60 metres from the border line and went six metres deep. The structure was 120 metres long.
Police went to a house following an anonymous tip, and arrested eight people allegedly linked to the drug trade. The Mexican entrance to the tunnel was found in the house.
- 'Sophisticated' tunnel found under US-Mexico border - May 11, 2011
- Two drug tunnels found in Mexico - Jul 14, 2012
- Families fled from Mexico border city due to drug trafficking violence - Nov 12, 2010
- Illegal tunnel equipped with elevator found in Mexico - Dec 04, 2009
- Marijuana packages seized in Mexico had Homer Simpson labels - Oct 19, 2010
- At least 16 bodies found in northern Mexico - Sep 17, 2012
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Reporter murdered in Mexico - Apr 30, 2012
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- Army finds mass graves in Mexico - Jul 16, 2010
- Mexican Gangs Catapult Drugs Into United States - Jan 29, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexico's `Miss Bala' entered in Toronto film festival - Aug 18, 2011