Tsvangirai to meet Mugabe, regional leaders on unity governmentJanuary 15th, 2009 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Jan 15 (DPA) Zimbabwe’s opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai Thursday said he planned to return home for a meeting with regional leaders and President Robert Mugabe on the implementation of a unity government.Addressing journalists in South Africa, Tsvangirai said he would leave for Zimbabwe Saturday.
The meeting in Harare was scheduled for next week, but no exact date has been set, the South African Press Association (SAPA) reported.
Negotiations for power-sharing under a deal signed in mid-September have stalled, with Tsvangirai and Mugabe unable to agree on the distribution of ministries.
Tsvangirai has also lashed out at Mugabe over the ongoing detention and alleged torture of opposition activists and supporters.
“I don’t have a credible partner in him (Mugabe), but he’s crucial to the finality of this in getting this global agreement consummated,” Tsvangirai was quoted as saying.
Zimbabwe is facing its worst economic and humanitarian crisis, for which the 84-year-old Mugabe has largely been blamed.
Initial international support for his role in a future government of unity has eroded as Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s president for 28 years, appears as determined as ever to shut out the opposition.
- Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital? - Apr 10, 2012
- Zimbabwe becoming a police state: Tsvangirai - Mar 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe police fire tear gas to disperse prayer meeting - Apr 10, 2011
- North Korea's Zimbabwe warm-up match called off after protests - Jun 01, 2010
- Tsvangirai promises change in Zimbabwe (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2009
- Zimbabwe may impose treason charges against PM Tsvangirai over Wikileaks revelation - Dec 28, 2010
- Zimbabwe's MDC signs up to join Mugabe-led government - Jan 31, 2009
- Tsvangirai sworn in as Zimbabwe's prime minister (Lead) - Feb 11, 2009
- Over a quarter of voters on Zimbabwe's electoral rolls 'are dead' - Jan 22, 2011
- Zimbabwe's central bank to lay off 85 percent of staff - Aug 29, 2010
- Mugabe hounding rivals in Zimbabwe - Apr 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe opposition threatens to quit unity government - Oct 13, 2008
- Tsvangirai sworn in as Zimbabwe's prime minister - Feb 11, 2009
- Zimbabwe opposition leader confirms joining unity government - Jan 29, 2009
- South African summit opens on Zimbabwe power-sharing deal - Nov 09, 2008