Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline)July 10th, 2011 - 9:52 am ICT by IANS
Tokyo, July 10 (IANS) A powerful earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale struck off the eastern Japan coast Sunday, prompting the authorities to issue a tsunami warning.
The quake occurred at 9.57 a.m. (0057 GMT), Xinhua reported. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage to property.
The epicentre was some 200 km from the coast of Miyagi prefecture and occurred at a depth of 10 km under the seabed, said Japan’s meteorological agency.
The temblor was felt in Tokyo and many eastern cities. The bullet train service was temporarily halted in northeastern Japan, media reports said.
A tsunami warning was issued for Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures. A small tsunami of up to 50 cm was expected along the affected region.
No abnormalities were reported by the Tokyo Electric Power Co. at the Fukushima nuclear power plant following the quake, said Kyodo news agency.
On March 11, a massive earthquake and an ensuing tsunami devastated Japan’s northeast coastline, leaving around 14,000 dead and crippling the nuclear facility in Fukushima.
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan seabed shifted 24 metres after March 11 earthquake - Apr 07, 2011
- Japan seabed shifted 24 metres after quake - Apr 07, 2011
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Hundreds of bodies found after massive quake in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Another earthquake rocks Japan - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: bullet train, dateline tokyo, eastern cities, eastern japan, electric power co, fukushima, iwate, japan coast, japan media, kyodo news agency, massive earthquake, meteorological agency, miyagi prefecture, northeastern japan, nuclear facility, nuclear power plant, richter scale, tokyo electric, train service, tsunami warning