Tsunami threat to India doesn’t exist: Government (Lead)March 11th, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 11 (IANS) There is no threat of a tsunami along the Indian coast, the government said Friday after a magnitude-8.9 earthquake hit Japan, generating massive oceanic tides that killed many and left many more homeless.
“Tsunami threat does not exist in respect of India,” a statement from the home ministry said.
The statement said the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), a tsunami warning centre in Hyderabad, has assured that the tidal waves won’t reach Indian coasts.
“The INCOIS is continuously monitoring the situation,” it said.
Shailesh Nayak, secretary in the ministry of earth sciences, told IANS that tsunami warnings have been issued to east Asian countries and not in the Indian Ocean region and “people should not panic”.
Following the 2004 tsunami, India in 2007 had set up INCOIS under the ministry of earth sciences.
In Japan, the massive earthquake triggered tsunami waves as high as 10 metres that slammed the country’s coastal areas. At least 18 people were killed and over 100 injured. The earthquake struck off Japan’s northeastern coast, forcing people to flee their homes.
Tsunami alerts were issued in the Philippines, Taiwan, Guam and Russia, as well as islands in the Pacific and Indonesia.
- No tsunami threat to India - Mar 11, 2011
- No immediate danger to India because of tsunami: Ashwani Kumar - Mar 11, 2011
- No threat to India, says tsunami warning centre - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami to hit US west coast, Alaska - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- India to join mock tsunami drill in Indian Ocean - Oct 11, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- India sounds tsunami warning after Indonesian quake - Apr 11, 2012
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- China removes tsunami warning - Mar 12, 2011
- Panic in Tamil Nadu after Indonesia quake (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- India to join exercise to re-enact Indian Ocean tsunami - Oct 07, 2011
- India's preparedness to tackle quakes should be reviewed: Geologists - Mar 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: coastal areas, coasts, earth sciences, east asian countries, home ministry, hyderabad, incois, indian ocean region, islands in the pacific, magnitude, march 11, massive earthquake, New Delhi, northeastern coast, tidal waves, tides, tsunami threat, tsunami warning centre, tsunami warnings, tsunami waves