Truckload of explosives, bullets seized in Chhattisgarh (Lead)March 17th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 17 (IANS) Police in Chhattisgarh recovered a huge cache of explosives, close to its border with Jharkhand Tuesday. Officials suspect the material was meant for Maoists to carry out attacks in the run up to Lok Sabha polls.
A truck seized at a check-post at Lodam area in Maoist-infested Jashpur district, some 450 km north of capital Raipur, was found to contain five tonnes of explosives including gelatin sticks and chemicals used for making landmines. It also had 17,750 rounds of bullets for 12-bore guns and 1,550 rounds of bullets used for 9-mm pistols. The driver and helper sneaked away when they saw the police approach.
“It’s a full consignment of explosives. The forested area where the truck was seized has been cordoned off. We suspect the supply was for Maoists to step up violence in the run up to the parliamentary polls for the state’s 11 seats on April 16,” Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general (DIG), police headquarters, told IANS.
He said the truck entered the state from Jharkhand and senior state police officials are in touch with their counterparts in Jharkhand to find out where the truck came from. According to police officials in Jashpur, the vehicle was registered in Bihar.
According to Jashpur district superintendent of police Akbar Ram Korram, the explosives were stuffed in sacks in the truck. Experts have been called to examine them, Korram told IANS over phone.
- Explosives, bullets seized from truck in Chhattisgarh (Second lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Truckload of explosives seized in Chhattisgarh - Mar 17, 2009
- No breakthrough in Chhattisgarh explosives recovery - Mar 18, 2009
- Huge explosives haul made in Jharkhand - Feb 02, 2012
- Detonators, gelatin sticks seized in Jharkhand - Jun 08, 2012
- Huge cache of explosives recovered in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 14, 2010
- More explosive chemical recovered from Ranchi - Feb 07, 2011
- Jharkhand police recover explosives from a Maoist bunker - Jul 24, 2010
- Two held with explosives in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 05, 2010
- Explosives seized in Odisha - Feb 08, 2012
- 80 bags of ammonium nitrate seized in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2011
- Explosives-laden truck hijacked, recovered in Jharkhand - Jun 09, 2012
- Jharkhand police arrest top Maoist leader in Simdega Distrcit - Oct 14, 2010
- Four Maoists arrested, cash and explosives seized - Jan 14, 2011
- Maoists push farmers to grow marijuana - Aug 17, 2012