Truck knocks down two Kanwarias in Delhi, one killedJuly 29th, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) An 18-year-old Kanwaria was killed and another sustained critical injuries when a speeding truck knocked the Shiva devotees down in northeast Delhi, the police said Tuesday. Puneet Kumar Goyal and Bansu Ram, 45, were hit in Samaipur Badli area when they were returning on foot from Haridwar, Uttarakhand, after collecting the water of the Ganga late Monday.
The police said the two were rushed to the Babu Jagjivan Ram Hospital, where Goyal was pronounced dead. Bansu Ram’s condition was described as critical.
“We have registered a case and search is on to nab the truck driver,” said a police official.
During the Hindu month of Shravan, thousands of Kanwarias or devotees of Hindu god Shiva, walk all the way to Haridwar to collect the water of the Ganga, bringh it back home and offer it to their Shiva icons at homes and villages.
- Nine kanwarias killed in road accidents (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Six kanwarias killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 06, 2010
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Kanwaria electrocuted to death in Ghaziabad - Aug 03, 2010
- Kanwarias clash with police - Jul 23, 2011
- Pilgrim killed in Gurgaon - Jul 17, 2012
- Three kanwarias killed in Uttarakhand - Aug 06, 2010
- Kanwarias throng Haridwar for annual monsoon festival - Aug 07, 2010
- Kanwarias again on rampage in Delhi - Jul 20, 2009
- Muslim vendors sell auspicious apparel for Hindu devotees in Varanasi - Jul 22, 2010
- Shiva devotees make a beeline for special Monday prayers - Aug 08, 2010
- Delhi comes alive with 'kanwariyas' - Aug 07, 2010
- Kanwariyas burn two trucks in Allahabad - Jul 23, 2009
- Kanwars: For Hindus by Muslims - Aug 08, 2010
- Kanwar Yatra not to go beyond Haridwar - Jun 19, 2012