Truck crushes man, angry residents torch police postJuly 8th, 2008 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut, July 8 (IANS) Angry residents vandalised and burned a police check-post in this Uttar Pradesh town after a truck crushed a man to death Tuesday. The mob went on a rampage at L-block of Shastri Nagar here alleging that the police took bribes and allowed trucks to enter the densely populated area during banned hours.
“It (death) happened due to police apathy by allowing trucks to ply in the densely populated area during restricted hours,” said Laxmi Kant Vajpayee, a former minister and legislator.
“The policemen posted at L-block check-post allowed the trucks entry during the day time after collecting Rs.100 per vehicle,” he added.
The accident took place 11.30 a.m. Tuesday when Prem was crushed to death by a truck carrying buffaloes. The residents first thrashed driver’s assistant and then set the truck on fire. The driver, however, managed to escape.
The mob then vented its anger on the police check-post, ransacking it and then setting it ablaze.
“We have initiated departmental action against erring policemen and will recommend to the district administration to provide appropriate compensation to the family of the deceased,” said Rakesh Jolly, city superintendent of police.
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Boy's death sparks violence in Aligarh - Feb 21, 2012
- Police check-post set ablaze protesting man's killing - Dec 31, 2011
- Violence erupts after truck runs over a child in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Kudankulam protests: One killed in police firing - Sep 10, 2012
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- Escaping police check, two teenagers die in collision - Jun 02, 2011
- Truck crushes three of family, mob attacks police - Aug 30, 2011
- Schoolboy's death sparks violence in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 29, 2010
- Mob clashes with police over teen's death - Nov 12, 2011
- Delhi road rage: Jet Airways pilot granted bail (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Truck rams 10 vehicles, eight people killed - Jan 29, 2011
- Mob attack injures 10 policemen (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Chandigarh police seize psychotropic drugs - Jun 20, 2012
- Four Punjab cops booked for extortion - Mar 07, 2011