Tropical storm Gustav kills 60 in HaitiAugust 29th, 2008 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 29 (Xinhua) Tropical storm Gustav has killed 60 people and injured 22 others in Haiti, authorities in the Caribbean country said Friday. Seven people has been missing since the storm pounded the country Tuesday, civil protection director Alta Jean-Baptiste told a news conference, according to reports from Port-au-Prince.
Flooding caused by heavy rain inundated farmland, houses and highways, she said, adding that most of the victims were killed in floods and mudslides.
In the neighbouring Dominican Republic, Gustav claimed eight lives, including six children.
Meanwhile, the eighth tropical storm Hanna, located some 490 km northeast of the West Indies, is moving northwest at 19 km per hour with sustained maximum winds of 65 km per hour.
- Clinton Foundation gives $1 mn for Haiti hurricane safety - Jun 02, 2010
- Nearly 800 confirmed dead in Haiti storms - Oct 05, 2008
- U.S. warns against travel to Haiti amid threat posed by Tropical Storm Tomas - Nov 02, 2010
- Tropical storm Hanna floods Haitian city, 19 dead - Sep 03, 2008
- Several killed on St. Vincent as Hurricane Tomas strengthens into a category two storm - Oct 31, 2010
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Hurricane Ike kills four in Cuba after devastating Haiti (Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- 13 dead, 6,000 displaced by hurricane in Hispaniola - Aug 28, 2008
- Hurricane Tomas kills at least 20 people in Haiti - Nov 08, 2010
- Tropical cyclone Gustav rears an ugly head as weather expert's start monitoring it - Aug 26, 2008
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Hurricane Igor Might Escalate To Category Five - Sep 14, 2010