Troops kill 36 militants in northweast PakistanSeptember 4th, 2008 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 4 (DPA) At least 36 Taliban militants were killed in two separate clashes with Pakistani troops in northwest Pakistan, security officials said Thursday.”Sixteen insurgents, including two commanders Younis and Rehmat, died when our troops, which were backed by helicopter gunship, cleared several bunkers of the militants in Koza Bandi area of Swat district,” army spokesman Major Murad Khan told DPA. Twenty more militants were wounded in the action.
Swat, which is located in North West Frontier Province (NWFP), was formerly a popular tourist destination until the followers of a radical cleric, Maulana Fazlullah, waged war against the government forces late last year for enforcement of Taliban rule.
Separately, 20 rebels were killed during heavy exchange of firing with paramilitary Frontier Corps (FC) in Darra Adamkhel, some 30 km south of NWFP’s capital Peshawar.
The clashes took place late Wednesday and early Thursday, according a press release issued from FC.
Fighting between the troops and the militants is going on in Darra Adamkhel since last week when the insurgents tried to carry out a suicide attack at an FC base there.
Two people were killed and many wounded in the foiled bombing.
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 18 militants, two soldiers killed in Pakistan (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 20, 2010
- 30 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- Aerial attacks kill 22 militants in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2008
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Pakistan military prepares to launch offensive in Orakzai Agency - Jan 13, 2010
- Pakistani troops kill 38 militants in northwest (Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Injured Pakistani Taliban leader surrounded: Minister - Nov 05, 2009
- 50 militants, two policemen killed in Pakistan clashes - Jul 02, 2009
- Pakistan says Taliban leader in Swat surrounded (Lead) - Sep 14, 2009
- Taliban leader Fazlullah killed in Afghanistan: report - May 27, 2010
- 43 more Taliban killed as Pak forces continue to pound militants in FATA - Jun 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops capture Taliban stronghold, kill 80 militants (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Suicide bombing kills 10, injures 20 in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Troops kill 50 militants in Pakistan - Sep 23, 2008