Troops capture strategic LTTE bastion: Sri LankaNovember 17th, 2008 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Nov 17 (IANS) Sri Lankan troops Monday captured another strategic bastion of the Tamil Tigers in the island’s north, the defence ministry said Monday.It said that the troops backed by artillery fire entered Mankulam area, dealing a major blow to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Mankulam is located on the highway that connects the Sri Lankan mainland to Jaffna in the island’s northern tip.
“Troops … have entered the Mankulam area in Mullaitivu (district), following hours of heavy fighting with the LTTE,” the announcement said.
It said the troops, having cut off Sunday “a stretch of the Mankulam-Oddusuddan road, which has been consistently used by the LTTE to draw reinforcements and logistic supplies”, engaged the Tigers before marching into the town held by the rebels for the past one decade.
This is the second major LTTE bastion to fall within three days.
The military announced Saturday that the troops had captured Pooneryn, the last major naval bastion of the Tigers on the west coast.
The LTTE, meanwhile, said it had thwarted a major military offensive against their forward defence lines at Muhamalai on Jaffna peninsula in the north during the weekend.
“Twenty Sri Lankan soldiers were killed and at least 80 wounded in the fighting,” the pro-LTTE TamilNet website said. It did not give the damage caused to the rebels in the clashes.
- Sri Lankan troops capture strategic LTTE bastion (Lead) - Nov 17, 2008
- Sri Lankan troops enter strategic town near Mullaitivu: Military (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Lankan troops retake villages close to Elephant Pass (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009
- LTTE ammunition dump bombed, troops near rebel bastion - Nov 17, 2008
- 'Prabhakaran's extradition call shows India's stand on LTTE' - Jan 07, 2009
- Two Sea Tiger boats destroyed in naval battle: Sri Lanka - Nov 18, 2008
- Lankan troops enter southern end of Elephant Pass: official - Jan 05, 2009
- LTTE 'strategic bastion' in north captured: Sri Lankan military - Sep 02, 2008
- Sri Lankan troops capture LTTE airstrip in Mullaitivu - Jan 10, 2009
- LTTE's last stronghold Mullaitivu captured: Lankan army chief (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2009
- 120 Tigers, 25 soldiers die in Sri Lanka - Dec 16, 2008
- Sri Lanka troops, LTTE rebels clash in Jaffna peninsula - Dec 06, 2008
- LTTE's Iranaimadhu airstrip captured: Sri Lankan military - Jan 15, 2009
- Troops capture fresh rebel-held territories in north: Sri Lanka - Nov 20, 2008
- Lanka troops claim capture of part of strategic Elephant Pass - Jan 05, 2009