Trooper killed in Kabul blast cremated in Himachal villageJuly 8th, 2008 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 8 (IANS) The body of Roop Singh, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) constable who was among the four Indians killed in a terror attack on the Indian embassy in Kabul Monday, was cremated with full state honours in his Himachal Pradesh village Tuesday. The last rites of the 38-year-old, who was posted to Kabul just this January, were conducted by his 13-year-old son in Daban village in Mandi district.
Singh, who was with the ITBP for 18 years, is survived by his wife Neera, son Lalit (13) and daughter Meenakshi (11).
Mandi’s Deputy Commissioner Onkar Sharma and superintendent of police S. Chandra Shekhar were present at the funeral besides scores of villagers, relatives and friends.
Singh was the only breadwinner of his family and lost his father last year.
The attack on the Indian embassy also killed his ITBP colleague Ajay Pathania, Defence Attache R.D. Mehta and Press Counsellor V. Venkateswara Rao. Forty others died in the Monday morning attack on the Indian mission.
- Body of Kabul martyr to reach Himachal Tuesday evening - Jul 08, 2008
- Two Indians killed in Afghan missile attack (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Maoists kill ITBP personnel in Chhattisgarh - Jan 29, 2011
- Afghan-Sikh community meets Manmohan, shares its problems - May 12, 2011
- Himachal pays tribute to ITBP constable killed in Kabul blast - Mar 01, 2010
- Indian embassy members safe: foreign secretary - Oct 08, 2009
- Bodies of Indian victims flown in - Jul 08, 2008
- Bodies of four Indians killed in Kabul attack brought home - Jul 08, 2008
- Manmohan meets Chinese President Hu Zintao - Jul 08, 2008
- Road named after Kabul blast victim in Himachal - Jul 11, 2008
- Terror threat to Indians in Afghanistan not over: India - Jan 27, 2011
- ITBP's first chief Bisweswar Chatterjee dead - Oct 10, 2010
- ITBP may send more troops to Afghanistan - Jul 07, 2008
- Undeterred by injuries in blast, ITBP men held position - Oct 08, 2009
- OIC condemns attack on Indian embassy in Kabul - Jul 08, 2008