Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blastSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Sep 9 (IANS) An Assam Rifles trooper was killed and 10 other personnel were injured Sunday in a blast in Manipur’s Bishenpur district, police said.
This is the third blast in Manipur over the weekend targeting security forces. Two separatist outfits - the United National Liberation Front and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) - have claimed responsibility for the earlier bomb blasts.
D.K. Rao of the Assam Rifles died on the spot after the rebels triggered the improvised explosive device (IED) blast at Kumbi area, district police chief Radheshyam Singh told IANS.
Of the 10 troopers injured, three were critical and have been admitted at Leimakhong army base hospital near Imphal, he added.
Preliminary investigation indicates that the rebels could have triggered the IED by remote control from a distance.
No arrests had been made so far, but a manhunt is on to nab the rebels, the police chief added.
On Saturday, two people, including a soldier, were injured in a bomb blast triggered by the PLA, the military wing of the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Front (RPF), on Tiddim Road in the Manipur capital.
RPF spokesman Taohangsu Heiremcha said PLA would continue to launch more attacks on the security forces in the state.
The RPF is fighting over the past three decades for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur.
The PLA has planted bombs in strategic places to attack security forces, Heiremcha warned.
There are more than 20 rebel outfits in Manipur with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- 57 militants surrender in Manipur - Dec 16, 2011
- Three RPF activists arrested in Manipur - Jan 14, 2010
- Police arrest three rebels, recover huge cache of arms in Imphal - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: army base, assam rifles, bomb blast, bomb blasts, district police, explosive device, independent homeland, k rao, liberation army, manhunt, military wing, national liberation front, pla, police chief, preliminary investigation, rpf, secession, security forces, three decades, united national